Monday, August 4, 2014

When God moves

Parenting two small children while working full time is hard.  To be honest, its much harder than I ever imagined it would be.  I spend most days feeling overwhelmed.  Steve's job has crazy hours.  They are never the same, and he works 9 hour days.  He could work 4am-2, followed by 10-7, only to work 3:30-close the next night.  I don't remember the last time he had a Saturday and Sunday off back to back.  It's rare that we even have one weekend day off together (I work a weekend every 5 weeks, a later shift every Tuesday, and have on call duties thrown in the mix too!).  We had a pretty good system down with Eli, but things have been so much more difficult to juggle since having Eliana.  We are SO blessed to have family near to help with childcare, but lack of quality time as a family unit has made us weary.  Besides Steve's crazy hours, our biggest challenge has been insurance.  The insurance through Steve's work is just terrible, and my employer has great benefits.  This made it pretty much impossible for me to work anything less than full time.  We began praying for a solution.  First, I applied and interviewed for a different position at the community mental health organization I work for.  I ended up not getting it..which I was fine with because I wasn't sure it was a good fit in the end.  I actually love what I do (definitely another blog post), it is just too hard to do while being mom to small children.  We began to pray for Steve to find a better job.  A job at a company he could grow with and have a career at...and a job with good benefits.

Sometimes, when God moves, it isn't small...its HUGE.  In this case...God is literally moving us!  While we were on vacation mid-July Steve had a job interview, and last week he got the call offering him the position.  That's right...the Kisers are moving to Michigan!  Steve is taking a job at Gordon Food Service.  I am just so proud of him.  My husband has put up with difficult work conditions and a terrible work schedule for 4.5 years without ever missing a day..not one!

Sometimes we are granted the desires of our heart.  Pennsylvania has been good to me.  It has given me a husband and two great kids, along with pretty great in-laws and extended family.  But Michigan is and always will be home.  There are so many things I can't wait to experience with my kids.  I can't wait for my kids to get to know my parents and grandparents on a whole new level.  I can't wait to live by my cousins and raise our kids together.  I can't wait to be back at the church I grew up in.  Most days I can't believe this is happening.  It is so surreal..but it is VERY real!  Steve starts his new job September 22.  We are headed out there the weekend before he starts.  I'm starting the job search process...I forgot how much I hate it.  I have no idea where I will end up or what I will be doing...but I know God is faithful, and I know He has a better plan than I can every dare to imagine.

 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.  Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think,according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen
  Ephesians 3:14-17

Life is about to get busy...so I'd better get packing!

2 comments:

  1. God is truly leading you both. He has amazing things ahead for you and I'll be praying they go smoothly. What an adventure lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terre! We are just so excited! Can't wait to be back in Lowell.

    ReplyDelete